Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Honey-Glazed Ribs

After our Ping Pong Dim Sum outing the other night, I got it in my head to try to make a version of the dish Mark liked so much, the honey-glazed ribs (true story, I made Mark Chinese spareribs for our first date).  I found this recipe at allrecipes, and while it's not really that similar to the Ping Pong dish, I thought it might fit the bill.  As it worked out, I actually preferred my version, hearty and bursting with flavor.  Mark's reaction to the dish?  To ask for seconds.


Click below to get the recipe!

List of ingredients for the ribs:
4 lbs pork country-style ribs (Soviet Safeway didn't have any spareribs)
1 cup honey
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. ginger, minced
1 tsp. ground mustard

First, at around lunchtime, I cut up the ribs in order to maximize the marinade-to-surface-area ratio and placed them in a big plastic freezer bag.


Next, I thoroughly combined all the other ingredients and poured about half of the mixture into the bag with the ribs.  I tossed both the bag and the remaining marinade into the fridge and went back to work.




At around 7 pm, I took the ribs out of the fridge to let them come to room temperature (still in the bag), and preheated the oven to 350 degrees.  Twenty minutes later, I removed the ribs from the bag, shook off most of the marinade, and placed them on a baking pan on top of a couple of racks. I covered the pan with foil and threw it in the oven.


After about an hour, I uncovered the pan, plastered the ribs with the remaining marinade, and baked them uncovered for another 45 minutes.  I served this dish up with some white rice.  While these ribs bore little relation to the delicate and subtlely-flavored Ping Pong dish, man, they were some good eatin'.  I would make them again in a heartbeat.


2 comments:

  1. i really need to get a rack like that. Probably gets them more crispy. That simple marinade sounds so goood

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were really good. I'm actually still in the process of eating them, think I may make myself up a little sandwich today for lunch.

    The racks I bought at Safeway for like, $3. I used to have a nice roasting pan, but it got lost somewhere along the way...

    ReplyDelete