Friday, April 9, 2010

Singapore Bistro

*Post by Mark.
Sometimes a secret can tear a good relationship apart.  But before that 22-year old cocktail waitress goes and posts about our affair on her myspace page... let me assure you that this secret actually brought Angela and I closer together.  We've been together for about a year now and little did I know, she's been keeping a big secret from me (though it's probably more fair to say that she's told me a hundred times and I just haven't been listening).  After a year of listening to me whine about DC's non-existent Asian food options, Angela finally broke down and let the classified become clarified.  After a recent happy hour in the Farragut neck of woods, she took me to one of her old stomping grounds- Singapore Bistro, on 19th Street between L and M.


Click below to see what we ate!


When we walked in, the restaurant was half-empty but still bustling with (drink-induced) energy. At first, I thought the restaurant was a tiny little hole, but we were led up the stairs where I realized there was a second level with more seating and a bar.  Packed with happy-hour drinkers (I'd guess mostly law students and young professionals) I felt the vibe of a frat party that was beginning to wind down... and I mean that in the best possible way.  Don't get me wrong, the place is clean and boasts a colorful and festive vibe.  But, I usually don't go to Asian restaurants for the service or ambiance, and Singapore Bistro seems to have crafted a really unique, energetic and inviting atmosphere that sets them apart from every other Pan-Asian joint on the block.

We settled into a cozy two-top near the bar, and maybe it was having been to a happy hour of our own (Mackey's anyone?), but we started ordering, last-meal-on-death-row style.  I was surprised our server had enough paper to write it all down because we ordered about half the menu.  The first item in our mini food parade to hit the table was the crispy spring rolls with fried ground beef, bean thread noodle, and mushrooms wrapped in rice paper and fried.  I'm not the biggest advocate for mushrooms, but I'll eat anything fried, and these were no disappointment.

Crispy Spring Rolls

We also got the Szechuan spicy ravioli with pork.  Merely foreplay to the main course, but another spot-on hit nonetheless.

Szechuan Spicy Ravioli with Pork

Angela was hungry for some sushi (some? how about all?) but I opted for a traditional entree getting the Indonesian Panggang, with grilled chicken, sweet soy sauce and crushed peanuts.  It was also plated with skewers of grilled broccoli and carrot.  I'm a major proponent of Thai food- specifically anything with a peanut sauce or crushed peanut- but I can't say any of it compares to this Indonesian version.  I could eat this meal three times a day for the rest of my life and not mutter a complaint.  The sauce was a blend of bitter and sweet- making it the Asian cousin of a delicious mole (Okay, no, I've thought about it and that makes no sense)... Bottom line is I've been having sexy dreams about this Panggang for a week now.
 
Indonesian Panggang, with Grilled Chicken

Angela ordered several sushi rolls, including the D.C. roll, the Special California Roll, the Crunchy Salmon Roll, and a Spicy Tuna Roll.  Unfortunately, she ate several pieces before remembering to take the picture (and by several, I mean a hundred.  Did I mention, we got a lot of food?).  She didn't find it to be outstanding, but definitely solid for the price.  Being the standout boyfriend I am, I thought I'd help her put away all that food.  The D.C. roll (pictured below; bottom left) was especially awesome, filled with shrimp, avocado, cream cheese and then topped off with a generous helping of crab and wasabi tobiko.  I also appreciate that Singapore Bistro lists 'Crunchy' as an ingredient... because it's probably my second favorite ingredient after 'Scrumptious'.

Variety of Sushi Rolls 

As we scarfed down our food, we couldn't help but notice the activity at the bar.  The bartender was teaching the loosened-tie drink squad a little song and dance as they put back sake bombs.  I think it involved shouting, "I love Sake! I love Bomb! Sake! Bomb! Sake! Bomb!" a couple of quick turns (like you're about to hit a pinata) and then a quick fist pound on the bar and bottoms up.  I thought I might like to give this a try as I love both Sake AND Bomb, but I wasn't sure how well the alcohol would mix with the four pound food baby gestating in my stomach (ultra-sound says it's gonna be a girl!!).

We were stuffed and about ready to wander home, when the bartender came by and asked us if we wanted dessert.  We informed him we were completely full and couldn't possibly eat another bite.  He kept going on and on about this dessert that he had created... some tempura fried cheesecake.  It sounded fantastic we assured him, but respectfully declined, asking for our check instead.  No dessert for us...

  What we might have looked like had we also been blue 

Okay, who are we kidding?  We got dessert.  It's Tempura fried cheesecake, people!  And I don't even have to tell you how awesome it was.  Just look at this glob of goodness.

Tempura Fried Cheesecake

As we walked home in the rain, buzzed and a full of fried dessert, I couldn't believe Angela hadn't already brought this spot to my attention.  This time her dark little secret had worked to my advantage, but I also found myself wondering what else she wasn't telling me... and what about those men's shoes I found in her room last month... they weren't even my size...

Angela says she has no idea how the shoes got there but that Singapore Bistro has really good delivery, but half the fun is the restaurant's environment.  I implore everyone to check it out post haste.

1 comment:

  1. Oompa Loompa doompa dah dee dah some

    Tempura fried cheesecake sounds totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete